Briefly: A picture -before I get all rumpled!! And I may have to do something about those bust 'darts'.
Awhile ago I purchased some forest green fine wale corduroy with which I planned to make some slim trousers.
After I washed it, some weird things happened to the fabric-a marble-like texture came with it out of the dryer- and I decided to use it for something else, tho' it took awhile to sort out what that would be.
|Forest green, not grey -trust me.|
Many moons ago I made dress from OOP Simplicity 4991, circa 2004. Since it fit well, I wanted to make a sleeved dress and thought the corduroy would be fine for the test.
To increase back coverage and add sleeves I combined the Simplicity pattern with Sewaholic Oakridge blouse (I really like the ease of sleeve insertion in that blouse.) I also added a dart to the back shoulder to increase the fit, and, I just like shoulder darts.
|Definitely more winter-appropriate coverage.|
As you will have noticed, this is a jumper, not a dress. I did not have enough fabric for long sleeves and short sleeves on what would be a winter dress would not be sensible in this climate. I would either have to put a sweater over top (imagine trying to stuff corduroy sleeves into a cardigan) or a long sleeved sweater underneath, which would look a little odd.
At time, I choose to ignore things I have preciously learned. In this instance when I shortened the bust darts I did not make it into two narrower darts but left it as one short wide dart. The result was as expected -rather pointy.
|The 'eyes' are the very pointy darts.|
|Still a little obvious but not as bad as before.|
If you can get past the glare of my winter-white legs and clashing socks, we can evaluate my experiment.
Considering this dress was supposed to have sleeves, but doesn't, there is no pesky gaping at the armholes.
There is a bit of strange rippling at the base of the zipper, but since I can't see it when I am not wearing the dress, I don't think I can fix it.
I think a large part of the 'ripple' seen here is the the marbeling of the fabric.
I attached the pocket bags and moved them to the right side when I serged the sides of the skirts. Unfortunately, I also sewed the side seams without moving them back inside. I suppose if I could have figured out how to still use them as pockets I could have left them as they were and felt they suited the 'edgy' fabric. HAH! Grab the stitch ripper and put them back inside.
In my desperate attempt to have an un-rumpled outfit, I even photographed it one morning over my gym clothes.
I'm still trying trousers and I'm auditioning a kimono-sleeved bodice for a (summer) dress I'd like to make. And one of my mom's patterns. I like the neckline and the shoulder dart but there will likely have to be some modifications. My mom is 5'2" and was a wisp of a thing when she made this dress. I am...neither.