Wednesday, 27 January 2016

The Draped Skirt Experiment

Note to Self: This experimenting thing is fun. I don't know why I always avoid it.

Briefly: A few months ago (in November to be exact) Kate from Fabricated posted pictures of her draped skirt projects. She draped some on the stand and then posted instructions about how to make a draped skirt from a skirt block. I was intrigued.

So I  used my TNT straight skirt pattern to make this ...
The Geek was quite perplexed as to what this might possibly be.
In my stash I some nice wool (but not so nice that I was reluctant to use it on an experiment) in the recommended plaid so I gave it a whirl.

While it wasn't a total success as I used french seam (my serger thinks I shouldn't air our dirty linen in public and is acting up again) resulting in a overall seam allowance of 3/4 of an inch rather than 1/2 an inch. I agree this doesn't sound like much but I lost a crucial half inch of ease in the process and  have gone from a slim skirt to a snug skirt.

Snugness aside, the larger draped section sits right the widest part of my hips. When I try this again, I will move it, likely down, a few inches.

I didn't get as far as ironing the side seams as I knew this wasn't going to work as-is.

Despite the front being cut on the bias, I am somewhat tickled about how the plaid pattern is working along the side seam. It isn't quite matched but adds some interesting detail, especially on the draped side.

I'm going to try to rescue this skirt but taking it apart to try cutting the front on-grain from the current bias-cut front. It would be a shame to let that pattern matching across the back go to waste.

Saturday, 23 January 2016

Bridging Old to New; Unintentionally Slow Sewing

Note to Self: if you plan on steaming wool for extended periods, use your steamer and you won't cook your iron.

Briefly: This suit was supposed to be ready in early December 2015 to wear with this mask to a Mardi Gras Christmas party. But it wasn't finished. And then some Christmas sewing happened (but I will do another post of un-blogged items).
Then I was going to wear it to a Japanese New Years Party. But only the skirt was done, so wore something else. A good thing as, surprisingly, our host's house was hot (close to 80 people will do that).
I finally finished the jacket Thursday morning (yes, January 21, 2016), just in time to wear to a co-workers retirement party.

Looking slightly wilted -it was after 2200 hours and I am usually asleep at 2030.

Goodness! I can't even stand up straight.
I bought the suiting about 10 years ago with the intentions of making a cape. It wasn't until I took it outside the shop that I realized it had metallic threads.

I'm not a sparkly person so it was buried in the deepest stash and only dragged it out when I found this pattern at a thrift store.

And then way back in November, just before I cut the fabric, my serger had a temper tantrum and would not stay threaded. So I threw the rather loosely-woven fabric in the washing machine with some jeans, and then in the dryer to felt it. (After our last falling out I've learned the fastest way to 'fix' my capricious machine is to show it I can manage without it.) Now that the suit is now finished, the serger is working again. But I've gotten ahead of myself

The jacket is OOP Vogue 8123. I made a size 10 even tho' my measurements had me at a size 14.

The skirt is my usual straight skirt pattern.

Since the felted wool is so thick, I top-stitched all the darts and seams to help them stay flat. That and hours of steam -hence the dead iron.

The metallic thread is not as obvious as I thought it be.

The jacket will be great in my chilly office.

Normally this suit would have been done in a weekend so I am not thrilled it took me close to two months, especially since nothing but the little bit of Christmas sewing jumped the queue. I did sign up for SWAP and I am planning mostly TNT patterns, so we'll have to see if I can manage to get my next few projects done more quickly.