Thursday, 15 January 2015

Sewing My Vintage Patterns

 A great many people have joined the Vintage Pattern Pledge co-hosted by Marie and Kerry. The passive-aggresive part of me doesn't like to feel obligated, so I won't 'pledge', but I still plan to sew up some of the cool patterns I've acquired.

To that end, I have cut the shorts version of these 1977 trousers. The grey corduroy fabric is left over from a different pair of trousers under construction. (I have never had so much trouble with a zipper -I'm attempting the third insertion, but they should be done soon.) I am adding the Hollyburn pockets because I like them so much, and, well, trousers should have pockets.

 I hope to cut out this 1971 (I think) dress this weekend. Purple corduroy this time.

I have white cotton-with-seahorses for this 1960's dress. I've been tidying tho' and I can't put my hands immediately upon the stuff. And, because I have a Sewaholic crush, I'm going to use the Cambie skirt instead of the slim one pictured.

I had a hard time finding this pattern. Again, the tidying. I'd filed it in its proper box. What was I thinking?!? I plan to make view 3 from a white orange printed cotton. No picture, of course, because the orange print is hanging out with the seahorses.

I want to make this dress too, but I'm not 100% sure where I'd wear it. The idea is still percolating.

And I have no hard-and-fast ideas about these two, but they were too much fun to leave behind.
Let's see what actually happens!

Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Renfrews With A Twist

This is a very sloppy post. The camera batteries are dead, so I took these pictures with my cell phone and they are topsy-turvy. (Thankfully I have no aspirations of being a fashion blogger.)

I have been doing a bit of sewing, and some knitting. I am a very slow at kniter but I wanted to make my friend K an infinity scarf for Christmas. A project that would take most people one day took me close to two weeks. The project was easy enough, but I am easily distracted so there are several 'design features' to make the scarf truly original. However she likes it so all is good.

But I digress. Bring on the crazy pictures of some easy Renfrew modifications. All the sweaters are a lovely wool jersey I had in my stash and finally worked up the nerve to use. (It's taken me a long time to cut the 'good fabric'. I don't know why; it's not good for anything laying in a box somewhere.)

The first one is from Modellina November  (I think) 2013. I saw this magazine on sale once at McNally's and promptly bought it. I have never seen the Modellina in stock there again. Such a pity. This one contains some very interesting patterns so I would think others would be the same.

Modello 34. I'll wait while you turn your head, tho' it may not be necessary to look at the pattern layout sketches. This was a very easy idea to adapt to the Renfrew; I just made the Renfrew's neckline smaller and traced off the curved collar piece to fit.


This off-white-but-soon-to-be-dyed-because-some-colour-ran-onto-it sweater was made using this
split cowl collar tutorial. I like how it turned out and plan to make another, and not wash it with anything brightly coloured.

The tie front sweater is a modified with the neckline and tie from Butterick 5859.

I like how the simplicity of the Renfrew lends itself to so many other neckline styles.
And I can stay warm on my way to work and in my drafty office.